New Plattsburgh Community Garden at the Plattsburgh Housing Authority on South Catherine
Post date: Feb 25, 2014 8:54:43 PM
Expected Timeline (some items are weather dependent):
**** Stared Items require heavy volunteer assistance ****
February 17: PlattsburghCommunityGarden.org opens online registration for existing and new gardeners.
Week of April 7th or 14th: Complete water connection and install lockable frost-free yard hydrant
- Being completed by PHA maintenance staff
Saturday, April 26th: Plattsburgh Community Garden Annual Meeting and Plot assignment Lottery
- Garden plots will be assigned for both the Penfield and the PHA gardens
Week of April 28th: Arrange for and receive delivery of Storage Shed materials
Week of April 28th: Arrange for and receive delivery of Wood Chip Mulch for ground cover
Week of April 28th: Arrange for collection and delivery of Corrugated Board (cardboard) for ground cover
Week of April 28th: Arrange for and receive delivery of Rough Cut Lumber for construction of raised beds
Week of April 28th: Arrange for and receive delivery of Garden Soil and Amendments
**Saturday, May 3rd: Measure and Layout and string / paint Garden Area and shed location - Begin Shed Construction
**Sunday, May 3rd: Complete shed construction
Week of May 5th: Arrange for and receive delivery of hand tools / wheel barrow
Week of May 5th: Arrange for and receive delivery of Fencing Materials
****Saturday, May 10th: Finalize plot layout, construct raised beds and lay corrugated board
****Sunday, May 11th: Fill raised beds and lay wood chip mulch
Week of May 12th: Arrange for and receive delivery of hoses and above ground water system components
**Saturday, May 17th: Finish garden construction - Begin fencing construction
**Sunday, May 18th: Finish fencing construction, including gate.
*Saturday, May 24th: Design and Construct above ground water system
*Sunday, May 25th: Complete water system construction
Monday, May 26th: Open garden for planting (Memorial Day)
- Three grants are pending.
- Tool / materials donation requests are in process through local retailers with potential commitment from Curtis Lumber, followed by Walmart, Lowes, Alix's, ACE and Aubuchan.
- Outreach is under way to local community organizations (Rotary, Lions, etc) and to the CVPH Foundation.
- A City of Plattsburgh Street Drive has been requested - status pending.
Cash funds needed for initial construction is approx. $4,000
Volunteer Labor Needed:
- the Plattsburgh Renewal Project has expressed interest in helping coordinate volunteer labor
- Sunrise Rotary has expressed interest in helping coordinate volunteer labor
- The SUNY Plattsburgh student Food Group is interested in helping, as they can based on school schedule
- Other suggestions for volunteer labor would be most welcome.
- We are particularly in need of at least one skilled construction / builder person who can lead our volunteers in construction of the garden shed.
- Volunteers should be directed to bring work gloves, shovels and in the case of shed construction - tools (including battery drills, etc) we don't know if we have electricity on site for construction needs.
- seeking local clergy for Opening Day blessing of the gardens on May 26th (Memorial Day)
Online sign-up for a garden plot will be available on February 17th. Interested gardeners should be directed to: http://plattsburghcommunitygarden.org/i-want-a-garden-plot